Today is my 28th birthday! I honestly can’t quite believe another year has gone by. I think we all say that every year our birthdays come around, but this year for me especially…. has been packed full of life. Good, bad, sad, happy, big, small…. I’ve experienced it these past 365 days. And quite honestly, these past 27 years! So in honor of that, I wanted to write some advice to my little girl through 27 years old self today. Some “if only you had known” 28 quick words of wisdom that I’ve come to learn about life and about myself as a woman today.
1. Learn to say no, even when it’s hard.
2. Stop obsessing over the number on the scale. Your future husband doesn’t care what it is in the slightest.
3. Allow yourself more grace in your disappointments.
4. Keep loving pink! And don’t be afraid to show it.
5. You’re going to see some darn ugly sides of you when you get married, but it’s going to make you grow and learn in ways you never thought were possible.
6. You don’t have a hipster bone in your body. Nice try.
7. Your husband is going to be the opposite of what you envisioned. And that is a wonderful thing!
8. You are a BLONDE through and through. Brown hair dye is a BAD IDEA.
9. So are tattoos. When you walk into the tattoo parlor already feeling regret…. just leave right then and there.
10. Learn how to suck it up when you’re in a job you hate. But also know when to quit for your mental health and well-being.
11. Jeggings don’t look good on you. Especially on national television. But you were on The Price is Right, so it’s still technically a win.
12. Keep singing! In any way, shape, or form.
13. You’re going to face a painful death in your life, much earlier than you would ever expect or want to experience. But I promise, it will be okay. You will be okay.
14. Bora Bora is one of the most amazing sights you’ll ever see. Soak up every single second.
15. Stop crying over all those hours of math homework! This little thing called an iPhone will do everything for you and it’s amazing.
16. Guess what? You still love Barbies.
17. You’re going to be an Auntie to the most amazing kiddos! And they will make you experience love like you never thought was possible.
18. You’re still bad at budgeting. Praise God you will marry an accountant.
19. Your wedding day won’t be the most perfect day of your life. But that’s life and there’s no such thing as a perfect day.
20. You will never forget the way you felt when you performed with the symphony in college – hot pink boa, tiara, jewels and all. Hold tight to those moments of performing that you’ll never get back.
21. You’re going to be as obsessed with blogs as you were reading teen magazines in your room on Friday nights. So keep reading! They will serve you well!
22. Be thankful your horse is your boyfriend from high school through college. Boys are worthless until you find a man that will be your husband.
23. Put more sunscreen on your face! You’re going to have wrinkles before you’re 30 and be sad about it.
24. Forget about the pressure of where you will go to college. It will be a messy process to graduate – filled with failure and growth and ultimate success – but it will be worth it and you will have never been so proud of a darn piece of paper.
25. The way you will have babies someday won’t be the “traditional” way. You’ll learn that when you’re 15, and it won’t mean much to you in that moment. But it will sting deep down the older you get.
26. Don’t be afraid to be exactly who the Lord created you to be. Let your personality fly free and don’t let anyone or any life season tell you otherwise.
27. Cling to Jesus all the days of your life. Even when you don’t feel like He is there. He is there, I promise. Holding you in the palm of His hands.
I will say… that even as I write these out in this perspective, I still wouldn’t change a thing. Not a single one. Because I trust in the paths I’ve chosen whether they’ve been good or bad, because I ultimately trust that God has been by my side in every single one. And here I am! 28 years old. And I’m so thankful for exactly where I am… today.