Happy Halloween, y’all! Well, it’s probably pretty evident to say that I’ve been taking a little blogging break as of late…
Ugh, It’s been a weird month. And to be completely honest with y’all, I’m really quite thankful today is Halloween and October will soon be behind us. Okay, so please don’t think of me as a total Party Pooper, but as much as I love fall and anything pumpkin related, I don’t actually love the holiday of Halloween in itself.
Maybe it’s because I have not-so-fond memories of girls being catty (not in the costume sense, but in the exclusive, excluding, and unkind sense) about trick-or-treating or party plans from mid-elementary school through college. Maybe it’s because I have vivid memories of me being extremely ill and tossing my cookies in the bushes while out trick-or-treating the Halloween before I had a life changing surgery my freshman year of high school. Perhaps it’s because I don’t actually believe in what the holiday stands for and the last time I watched “Hocus Pocus” I thought about it waaaaay too literally and had to pray out loud over our little apartment that the enemy would get the heck out of our home in Jesus’ name. Yes, that happened. Or maybe it’s just because I’m in that awkward season of life where we don’t have kids yet and my husband will be working late tonight and I’ll eat left over Domino’s pizza in front of the TV in my jammies.
Just keeping it real, y’all.
Just like I have to keep it real and say that because it’s been a weird month. Personally, professionally, and in all sorts of life ways weird. And because of it, I’ve been struggling with feeling inspired with this blog of mine!
Though it feels uncomfortable and difficult to explain, I often struggle with “what to share” here. From the moment I prayed about starting this blog, I wanted it to always be founded on authenticity and content that felt genuine and real. So yes, I’ve shared a lot about my faith and my real life. But to be honest, sometimes I’d just rather it be a blog all about the frivolous things. Because that just feels fun and like a fresh outlet! And it feels easier. But yet, I realize that we’re not always called to just the easy stuff.
So sometimes… that torn feeling just leaves me stumped! I personally love reading blogs that are all about style, beauty, home decor, and new products. It doesn’t bother me that I don’t know much about their real life because I’m really just curious as to where they purchased something! But then sometimes I do feel like I wish other bloggers shared more about their real lives because I feel like when they do, I feel like I know them and I love that! To be honest, I’m not sure what those of y’all reading this feel! I just feel really honored that anyone besides my husband and mama read it at all! But to be honest with whoever is reading this today, I’ll admit that every time I sat to work on this website of mine in the last 2 weeks I just didn’t know what to say at all – on a personal level and a frivolous level. Again, ugh. But I suppose the moments you feel low about your work and/or your personal outlets are the moments when you force yourself to dig deep down for more inspiration that you didn’t know you had, right?
And that’s why I’m so excited about this month coming to a close. I always love a good new, fresh, start in any form… especially when it includes a new month and season. It’s a new opportunity to put the not so great things in the past and look forward to the future. So here’s what I’m excited about moving forward the remainder of 2016:
- ALL of the Christmas things. More than any year in the past (didn’t think it was possible, but it’s true), I’m ready to decorate for Christmas! I think it’s because we’ve made so many fun changes around our apartment this fall and I’m ready to start showing them off with additional Christmas flair! Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday and one that I can stand behind 10000% percent, so I have absolute no shame in jumping the gun with the decor and celebration.
- Intentional time with my hubby! My husband is the most dedicated, hard-working man. I’m constantly in awe of his steadfast commitment to his career. We don’t get a lot of quality time just the two of us, especially during his long work weeks, and lately we’ve really been working on making ‘just us’ time a priority. Perhaps it’s just deciding to order sushi for pick up and stay in on a weekend night. Or maybe it’s only 20 minutes checking in on the couch on a Sunday night for the week ahead. Either way, it’s crucial for the health of our marriage. We’re really working on this lately and want to be especially mindful of it as we enter into this busy holiday season ahead!
- Making time for girlfriends. Most of my close girlfriends live far away which is really hard. I’m a total girls girl, so I often miss the days of living in a house of girls and being able to call out the words “anyone want to go shopping, get our nails done, and get fro yo?” and having someone answer from down the hall. Because of that void, I’ve grown to cherish the moments of a phone date, even if it’s a quick check in. I’ve also realized that I just need to be a lot more proactive about reaching out to girlfriends that are close to where I live and begin to grow new friendships here, too! It’s hard for me, but I’m working on growth in this area.
- Planning trips to see friends and family. We’re blessed to have my family all extremely close to us. It’s such a gift, especially around the holidays. But it’s also hard to be far from other family members and friends we love that aren’t close. We’re already booking flights to places and people who hold special places in our hearts! I’m starting to really look forward to these special trips that I know will fill my heart with joy!
- Keep hustling with this blog! In combination with all of the things I just listed above, I want to keep up with sharing them here, too! I want to consistently challenge myself to rise above my fears about what others may think about what I chose to share, continue to work hard about producing content that feels fun and genuine, and continue to grow this site in a way that feels authentic! Because deep down, I’m so darn happy when I keep up with blogging! It’s certainly become a part of me and it’s a passion project that I desire to keep alive and evolving for as long as I can!
So, that’s a little life update for ya! Not the most festive of Halloween posts, but I’m just happy to be clicking ‘publish’ again!
If you are doing something fun and festive today or tonight, I am wishing you the happiest of Halloweens! Eat your favorite type of candy and enjoy every last bite! Tomorrow is a new day and month! 🙂