I don’t know about y’all, but I tend to be an over-complicator when it comes to recipes. Especially dinner recipes. I’ll feel lost on what to cook, head to Pinterest and become immediately overwhelmed at the zillions of yummy-looking recipes, make my list and go to the store and way over-spend on ingredients I wouldn’t ever normally keep on hand, spend longer that I want to on the recipe, and have it turn out… “meh”. Sound familiar to anyone else?!
Surely I can’t be the only one! So, I’ve recently been gravitating towards easy, simple “recipes” that really don’t feel like recipes at all. Sometimes I worry, “Is this too simple?! Will Sam not like it?!” And the simple meals are what he loves and asks for the most! And then with blogging recipes I worry, “Will readers think this is too basic? Should I be coming up with more original, fancier recipes?!”, and then I end up getting the most questions about simple recipes I share on Insta Stories!
So with all that said, I’m sharing this easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy (literally) recipe here today! It’s the perfect simple weeknight meal that can be thrown together in minutes. I’m sure there are about 10,000 versions of this exact ingredient combo on the internet but sometimes I just like it when others share the basic and the good as it reminds me to stop over-thinking dinner so much!
- 1 lb (or more, whatever you want!) of your favorite cuts of chicken
- 2 lemons (one sliced and one juiced)
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Garlic
- Olive Oil
You can do this all in the oven or start in the oven and finish with the grill. I actually did the combo option when I made this last because Sam was getting home later than expected so I put it in the oven and pulled it the last 10 minutes so Sam could quickly throw it on the grill to finish it off. It’s totally up to you!
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange the chicken in your dish with the rosemary sprigs, cloves of garlic (I use them whole, you could mince if you like), and lemon slices.
- Juice one lemon and drizzle it all over.
- Drizzle olive oil all over.
- Coat with salt and pepper – as little or as much as you like!
- Put it in the oven (uncovered) for 45 mins or until chicken has reached 165°F OR pull it from the oven just before that point and finish it on the grill.
I mean, it truly doesn’t get easier than this. So simple, yummy, and fresh! You could absolutely put some potatoes in your baking dish and make it a one-dish meal. As you see above, we paired it with grilled zucchini but when the weather gets cooler I’ll likely do it with potatoes and/or other oven-roasted veggies.
This recipe may be as simple as they come, but don’t we all need a bit more ‘simple’ in our lives these days?!
Wishing y’all a happy start to your Mondays and cheering you on with this meal that you can put on the table tonight! 🙂