Happy Fri-Yay! Today I’m sharing something I’m super excited about as of late, because it’s been a real game-changer to my hair routine! And as any lady knows, a good game-changer in a hair routine that saves your time, energy, and money (most of these are drugstore products!)…can truly be a BEAUTIFUL thing!
So, let’s back up a bit. In high school, I would let my hair air dry all the time! I figured out a pretty good system at the time to turn my naturally wavy hair into a fairly strong beach wave and I would continue to scrunch and toss it from on the way to school through beginning of second period. At the time I was using mousses and gels, and by the end of the day it was usually a pretty sticky, frizzy mess. But because I washed my hair every day then, I just dealt with it. As I’ve grown older and wiser to the ways of day 2, 3, 4 hair… I’ve realized that I’ve really lacked in amping up my air dry hair routine!
With warmer weather rapidly approaching, I decided it was time to get back into the air dry routine again! I do want to mention this disclaimer before I go on and rave about all these products just so we can all be on the same page in terms of what I know to be true about hair styling in general:
The Good Lord gave us all a certain hair type. And that’s a uniquely beautiful thing! But it also means that no one way of styling or one voodoo combo of products is going to magically give us all the same hairstyle. Soooo, with that said… take into account my hair type while I’m talking through this routine! I have thick wavy hair that dries fairly straight with a blow dry or it can appear wavy/curly if scrunched with product and left to air dry. Those curls/waves are immediately gone if I brush them out. So that’s what I’m working with over here!
So now that we established that truth, I’m going to walk you through my routine from air dry to next day styling! Buckle up, grab that coffee, and hold onto those reigns y’all…. because this lady doesn’t skimp when it comes to talkin’ hair!
OUT OF SHOWER AIR DRY WAVES:
1. After just a quick towel dry to get as much water out of my hair as I can, I spritz It’s A 10 all over! This stuff is a cult classic and I’ve been using it off and on for years! It literally does everything it promises on the bottle and it’s the perfect product if you want ONE thing to take care of detangling, moisture, frizz control, etc. etc. This is what my hair dresser uses before she blow dries every single time! To all my fellow blondies, I currently use this formula and I like it, but I will say that the smell is not my favorite compared to the original… just a heads up!
2. To detangle/comb my hair after spritzin’, I always use this Wet Brush to comb through. It’s the absolute best in terms of minimal breakage, comfortable when running through your hair (and I have a lot of it!), and truly cuts through any tangles seamlessly! They have all different sizes, so if a paddle brush is way too big for you, you’ll be able to find one that works for you and your hair type! NOTE: After this brushing out of your hair…. PUT IT AWAY. You’re done with it! The more movement you bring back into your hair while it’s drying from this point out the better in order to create those waves!
3. After that brush is no where in sight, I give my hair a few good tosses to get as much excess water out and then throw it up into a Turbie Twist. Remember these/this commercial?! Yep, I bought into it. AND THEY’RE AMAZING and I can’t live without them! Sooooo much better than a heavy towel that unravels within minutes. And they truly dry your hair quicker, too! SO worth it. After my hair is all set in the TT, I do my makeup, get dressed, and do anything else I need to do while getting ready so it gives my hair as much drying time as possible so it’s just on the damp side rather than still dripping wet!
4. After I’m all ready sans-hair, I take out the TT and give it another good shake and then scrunch it a bit. I then grab this mousse which is the game-changer of all mousses in my opinion. It is the product on this entire list that is going to do the most in terms of creating waves naturally! It is so lightweight and yet moisturizing… but never sticky and never heavy. The amount of volume I instantly start to see (even with wet hair) with this stuff is incredible! I honestly just tried it on a whim and I’m SO glad I did! I use enough to fill the palm of my hand when in a cupped-shape, QUICKLY work it in from root to tip (mousse disappears quick if you’re not fast and you DON’T need more than a small palm-full or else you risk using too much product), and do PLENTY of scrunching along the way. The more you move this product through your hair and not let it settle in one spot, the better. DON’T use your fingers (or heaven forbid a brush!) to comb this through. SCRUNCHING IS YOUR FRIEND. SCRUNCH LIKE YOU’RE BACK IN THE 80’S AND REBA IS YOUR HAIRSPIRATION. Don’t worry if you feel like its overkill at this point, just let it get in there and start doing its thing and there’s plenty of time to tame it down after. You just want to get those curls and waves in tact!
(Optional Side Step After Mousse: If you want a little extra volume and your roots tend to get a weighed down look when air drying, simply just flip your hair upside down and blast your roots with a hairdryer for 2-3 minutes or so. This makes a huge difference in adding volume and also making the whole air dry look appear a bit more put together!)
5. After I’m channeling Reba, I grab this yummy-smelling Garnier Air Dry Anti-Frizz Cream that has also been a gem of a recent find. I use just about a dime to quarter sized amount and lightly work it through my hair a little less aggressively than I did the mousse. Essentially, this stuff is used to style and tame all the scrunching you just did! I like to twist some locks around my face with my finger with this stuff, and I also like to gently do the slightest bit of tousling (not quite finger combing) with it in order to tame some of the more out of control curls scrunching may have caused. This is also the product that is going to help combat frizz while your hair is still damp! Think of this product as your hair spray/final setting step in the air dry routine. It’s supposed to set everything without making a sticky mess on wet hair as a hairspray on damp hair would!
And then, I’m out the door! As my hair continues to dry while I’m on the go, I continue to scrunch and try to give my hair a toss or two so it doesn’t become heavy or matted down. This also helps with drying time, too! I’ll also sometimes bobbi-pin a few small sections by my face back with a twist so those get a bit more wave to them and then pull them out once dry! Just depends on how much time I have/how I’m feeling!
DAY TWO WAVES STYLING:
6. Even though I try not to comb my hair too much, especially to keep my waves in-tact, I still need a good game plan to re-create/keep my air dry wave look on day 2, 3, 4…. or ya know, however long I can stand it before I wash again. I’m usually not snobby when it comes to dry shampoo and usually purchase whatever is on sale, but I recently decided to try this Nexxus Dry Shampoo since the bottle was so pretty. I wish that wasn’t the sole reason, but it is. WELL, to my surprise it is now the most amazing dry shampoo I have ever tried! If you’re a lady who hates how dry shampoo can make your hair feel gritty, this dry shampoo is for you! It is SO lightweight and you can comb it through and actually feel like your hair is clean! It’s a little pricier than my usual less than $5 can, but I’m calling this stuff worth it. Spray it in, especially at my roots, and I’m ready to recreate what my hair looked like the day prior!
(SIDE NOTE: Someday I’ll do a blog post as to why on earth this ridiculously expensive brush is worth it. But let me just quickly say that in terms of getting out any tangles, combing through dry shampoo, not loosing your waves completely and keeping frizz at bay…. this brush DOES ALL OF THAT. So that’s what I use on day 2, 3, 4, etc.!)
7. Before any heat styling whatsoever, I always spray this heat protectant on before. It’s pricy and the stupid cap on the bottle is so obnoxious because it abruptly falls off all the time while you pick it up to use BUT…. it’s still worth it. It’s the only stuff I’ve found that prevents damage at high heat, keeps your style lasting, and doesn’t make your hair feel sticky. I let that dry for just a minute or two before styling.
8. Explaining how to use this curling iron to re-create air dry waves is truly a tutorial post on its own, so I’m actually going to spare us all today. I did just want to include it today and share that I use it like I do a curling wand lately and I after trying so many different wands at all price points, I just think this one is THE best out there. If you’re dying for a tutorial on beachy waves with a curling iron, I suggest searching YouTube. If you want a tutorial on how I personally do it, let me know with a comment below! I’d be happy/excited to do one!
9. Once the (iron-created) waves are back and ready to roll, I lightly spray this magical Kristin Ess Beach Wave Spray! I mentioned this before, but I was excited try something from her new line at Target since she’s Lauren Conrad’s hair stylist so…. duh?! This product intrigued me the most because it promised that beachy wave-look without looking sticky AND it was to be used on dry hair which I loved knowing I wanted something to keep beach waves going with dirty hair. OKAY KRISTIN, I SEE YOU. This product is AMAZING. Beachy, tousled, texture… without feeling gunky. A little goes a long way (as it says on the back of the can) and I LOVE it.
10. The final step to this seemingly long but really not that bad, I promise routine is of course, THIS MAGICAL HAIR SPRAY. If you’re been reading my beauty posts since I started blogging y’all know I love my hair spray! But this one is different from most! It’s PERFECT for frizz-control and keeping things staying put without being stiff! Normally flexible hold sprays leave me feeling like I’m not getting any hold at all (what’s the point??), but not this one! And the smell?!?!?! OH MY WORD. It’s so good. SO GOOD. I honestly can’t WAIT to spray this in my hair! It’s coconut-ish but not overpowering. It is quite literally the PERFECT hairspray for spring and summer and I’m just so thankful I found it!
(Original post with more pics of these air dry waves with just a touch of curling wand styling by the layers closest to my face can be seen here)
What do y’all think? Are you going to try some of these products out for yourselves? Even if your hair type isn’t similar to mine, I really think there’s something on this list for everyone! I hope all this hair talk ultimately inspired you to change-up your routine a bit and give your blow dryer a little rest so your hair can enjoy a little healthy freedom now and then! It’s been such a nice change-up for me personally lately, so I want to share the joy!
As always, let me know if y’all have any questions about anything I mentioned or let me know any tips you may have, too!
Have a happy weekend and thanks for chattin’ hair with me today!
SHOP this POST: