Do you ever feel like you need a vacation from your vacation? As in, you experience a time away from home and work and no matter how prepared you feel to leave, how much you think you’ll get done while away, how much you’ll relax, or how much fun you have while on your vacation… you still come home exhausted and staring at piles of laundry and chaos? This is me.
I always hate coming home from vacation because I feel so overwhelmed! It doesn’t matter if I’ve been gone for a weekend or weeks. But I have figured out a few tips to ease myself back into the swing of things. So, I thought I’d share them with y’all here today!
1. Bump up the water intake. I never drink enough water while I’m away! I’m out of my routine, I don’t have my usual tumbler with a straw, I don’t like the taste of the tap… you name it. I just don’t drink enough. So I often find myself exceptionally dehydrated after being away. To combat this, I make sure to bump up my intake the moment I get back in my kitchen. I’ll add mint, lemon, cucumber, strawberries… anything to entice me to keep on sipping! It’s amazing how much better I begin to feel once I’m properly hydrated again.
2. Replace 1 meal/day with a smoothie or salad. I don’t deprive myself while on vacation. It’s against my moral code and love for food! But… I’ll find that after I don’t make the most wise decisions with my diet while I’m away, I definitely feel it when I return home. I also don’t believe in cleanses, so I simply just swap one meal out for a smoothie or salad. It’s a way to slowly train my tummy to not crave huge meals with fries and dessert (which I definitely indulge in while on vacation) and re-introduce more fruits and veggies back into my diet without having to completely cut out junk cold turkey which can ultimately make me continue to overindulge! Need some recipes? Check out my inspiration boards here, here, and here.
3. Spend a little extra time with self-care. If my environment changes, my body freaks out. After being at Tahoe with high altitude and dry as a bone climate, my skin is destroyed. Like, peeling and itchy destroyed. Gross. So, I make it a priority to give myself a little extra TLC in the beauty department. I prioritize a face mask the evening after I arrive home, I bump up my moisturizer, I give myself an at home foot scrub, and I do a hair mask. These are all things that help aid in the recovery of my changed skin and also help relax me as I enter back into “real life”.
4. Get to the grocery store ASAP. Coming home to an empty fridge is seriously the worst. So what do you do? You look at your husband and suggest Chipotle for dinner, of course. But after that… you get your behind to the store and load up! Because honestly, if you don’t… you’ll find yourself rummaging through the pantry while starving or going out to eat again. Both of which are definitely vicious cycles for me when I’m already struggling to find routine again. Need a little extra motivation to get yourself there? Tell yourself that if you make a food list and get to the store, you can treat yourself to some fresh flowers! They are sure to cheer up your home which often can feel empty when you first arrive back after being away.
5. Change your linens. I try to change our bed to clean sheets and swap all the towels to fresh ones before we leave town. Sometimes, I’m on it. But sometimes…. I’m not. Either way, I always try to make it a priority to either do it before or the moment we get home. I firmly believe that everything around you can be an utter disaster but if you have clean sheets, it doesn’t seem quite as bad. I also just love to feel clean and in my own bed and bathroom after using someone else’s!
I hope these tips and tricks help! Sometimes I can find myself doing all 5 the day I’m home, but sometimes it’s pick and choose. And you know what? That’s okay. Give yourself grace! Coming back from vacation ain’t easy. And sometimes we just have to do the best we can, amen? Amen.
Shop below for some of my favorite post-vacay self-care products, if interested!
SHOP this POST: